Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Reet says eat here....

Johnny K decided to take me to a special restaurant for my birthday his choice, not mine). We dined at O'Porto Fine Portuguese Restaurant in Hartford, with good friends Keith/Sharon and Vin/Marsha. We started with good wine (I had a diet coke with lemon) followed by great appetizers (my favorite, Camarao Grelhado, grilled shrimp in lemon sauce, was so good that next time I will order that for dinner).

Another good appetizer was their famous Portuguese fried potatoes. (also served as the dinner potatoes); very tasty. The big hit of the night was the Paehla or Paella. Various concoctions were filled with shrimp, clams, mussels, scallops, chicken or whatever and served with SAFFRON rice. The SAFFRON rice was everyone's favorite (but not mine). John order Black Pork, pork chops that were cooked to perfection, unlike the dried out ones I cook. Me, well I had a steak with those famous Portuguese potatoes again because I'm a wimp. My recommedation is if you want a great steak go to Anthony's Jacks. Portguese steak doesn't cut it. Now to the deserts, they were awsome! I had cheesecake with caramel sauce, very good. Keith and Sharon enjoyed an Almond Tarte together, and John and Sharon had Creame Brule together. We all shared, except Vin and Marsha, Marsha enjoyed her Chocolate Mousse and only gave Vin a bite. All in all, it was a great birthday evening with fine dining and good friends. I just don't think I would order steak again. And, too much Saffron rice for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They added a new steak since your blog. They must have taken your comment to heart. The new steak is spectacular! I would recommend trying it sometime. It is called Beef Grelhado. Great Blog. Thanks.